The past couple of years have been really quite eventful for one of my best friends, H.
She met her boyfriend, fell in love, bought a house and had a baby.
Naturally, all of these occasions required some form of cake to celebrate.
And I was more than happy to oblige!
Making these cuties meant my first attempt at using fondant, and it couldn’t have been more simple!
I kept these quite gender neutral, but you could go quakers (sorry) and make the ducks blue or pink depending what type of bundle is on the way.
Baby Shower Duck Cupcakes
For the cake I used my Classic Vanilla Cupcake Recipe.
For the Frosting
- 300g icing sugar
- 80g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 25ml whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Beat the butter in a mixer until fluffy
2. Add the icing sugar (cover the bowl of the mixer with a clean tea towel to avoid getting covered!)
3. Add the milk and vanilla and whiz until smooth
For the Ducks
250g Fondant ready to roll icing (I use Tesco. You can buy yellow and orange ready rolled or colour with a drop of food colouring but it may affect the taste)
1 edible food colour pen in black – like this one
I’ll let you in to a sneaky secret. I did not have an edible food colouring pen. So… I…improvised. With a teeny tiny dot of black eyeliner. Oops.
I obviously do not recommend this and you should definitely go with the edible stuff. Do as I say not as I do! (Sorry H!)
1. Split the fondant in two 90% should be coloured yellow and 10% orange
2. Roll out one small head shaped ball and one larger body shaped ball using your hands
3. To the larger shaped ball, squeeze gently on both sides to make a longer tapered shape. Pinch a little tail of one end.
4. Wet the bottom of the smaller ball slightly and press onto the body
5. Make a small triangle for the beak
6. Add two (edible) dots either side for the eyes
Luckily, mylittlepartyplanner has made a wonderful video tutorial if you get stuck: