My Mum always said it’s what’s on the inside that counts.
When it comes to these cookies, she couldn’t have been more right.
From the outside they look like normal, run of the mill, chocolate chip chunkies.
But split them open and they are SO MUCH MORE.
Ooozing with gooey Nutella goodness. Nom.
And the greatest part? You could smuggle all sorts of secret scrumptious surprises inside these lovelies. Not just Nutella!
Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups…
I’ll let you decide which is best dough.
I went with Nutella, Peanut Butter and Biscoff Spread.
Now for the basic Cookie Dough I have perfected the Ultimate-Chewy-On-The-Inside-Crispy-On-The-Outside recipe.
But Cookies are a very personal thing. Depending on what you prefer, they can be altered a whole host of ways by slightly tampering with the quantities of a particular ingredient:
For my chewy cookies you will need:
- 275g of Plain Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 170g butter, melted and cooled
- 125g of Light Brown sugar
- 70g Granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 100g milk chocolate chips
- 100g white chocolate chips
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, cornflour, and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine the cooled melted butter and sugars. Add in the eggs and vanilla extract. Beat until just combined.
- Slowly add in the dry ingredients and mix briefly, just until there are no flour clumps left. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Now for the important bit. Pop the dough in the freezer for at least an hour. Trust me.
- Remove the dough and preheat the oven to 160oc
Okay, let’s get down to it. Take a small handful of dough and smooth into a ball, Then split the ball in half. Make a small dent in one half and spoon in whatever gooey goodness you choose to add. Smash the two halves together, encasing the goo with the rough part of the ball facing upwards.
This is what gives the cookie that rough top texture.
Bake in batches of about 5, leaving plenty of room for them to spread, for about 10-12 minutes until just about done. They will firm up as they cool. Makes 24.
The great thing about these is that they are even softer on day two than day one. You can just pop them in the microwave for 10 seconds and voila!
What will you choose to hide inside? Chip in and leave me your suggestions.